Purpose of a Deacon
Deacons are servants of the Lord serving both the congregation and the community. A Deacon should exemplify the Christian ideal, sharing the Gospel with believers and non believers, and should strive to consistently apply the principles and guidelines for Deacons as set forth in the New Testament. Deacons are ordained to serve as spiritual leaders of the Church. With the Senior Pastor and other ministers, they have particular responsibility for the life of the Church—to safeguard its good name, care for its fellowship, and promote its unity and welfare. Deacons are not to act in the place of the Church, but, rather, they encourage Church members and assist in the work of the Church, referring their recommendations on matters of major concern to the Church Trustees and/or the membership.
Deacons are to serve with the Pastoral staff and other lay leaders in:
- Supporting the Church in the achievement of its mission
- Providing care for Church members and others in the community
- Serving of The Lord’s Supper
- Assisting with worship services where needed as determined by the Church
Congratulations to the Deacon Officers for 2017-2017 Voted in at the September 30, 2017 Business Meeting
Dick Foster, Chair
Ken Smith, Vice-Chair
Ross Johns, Secretary
Deacon Officers 2016-2017
Dave Ballard, Chair
Dick Foster, Vice-Chair
Ken Smith, Secretary
Each week, TBC Deacons volunteer to visit members and others in hospitals or other facilities. The program is coordinated by Vicki Dorris, Executive Assistant Pastoral Office. You may provide information to Vicki at Vdorris@trinitybaptist.orgat (210) 733-6201.
- Deacon on Call: minister in times of illness / hospitalization
- Deacon Prayer Opportunities: Prayer Room; Prayer Partners
- Discipling New Christians: work with those who are new in the faith
- Employment Ministries: help in a variety of ways
- Lord’s Supper to Homebound: serve Lord’s Supper to those not able to join the congregation during regular services
- Mentoring New Deacons: assist new Deacons with the assumption of their responsibilities
- Outreach to Ft. Sam Houston: minister to the huge numbers of military personnel who receive their medical training at Ft. Sam
- Pew Greeters: intentionally seek out visitors to the worship service and make them feel especially welcome
- Renewing TBC Members: reach out to those who have not been actively participating
Ordained Deacon Body. Deacons of the Church shall be ordained to provide spiritual leadership for, and service to, the fellowship of the Church. They shall individually guard the unity of spirit within the Church.
Deacon Obligations. Every Deacon of the Church is expected to seek out and occupy a chosen place of service in the Church program in addition to performing services as a Deacon. All Deacons shall actively support, with time and finances, the work of the Lord through the various ministries of the Church. All Deacons are expected to attend the Church worship services and perform assigned duties incident to the conduct of Sunday services.
Deacon Council. A Deacon Council shall be nominated and elected by the Church each year as provided in these Bylaws. The Deacon Council shall provide its recommendation to the Church, when requested, regarding actions proposed by committees, staff, or others. The Deacon Council shall meet in accordance with its procedures.
DEACON COUNCIL POLICIES & PROCEDURES MANUAL
Section 7: Deacon Council Nomination and Election
Membership Requirements. Any potential nominee for ordination and election to the Deacon Council must have been a member of the Church for at least three (3) years, one (1) year of which shall immediately precede election. Any potential nominee, previously ordained in another Baptist church, must have been a member of the Church not less than one (1) year prior to election.
Selecting Nominees for Deacon Ordination. Special attention shall be given to the potential nominee’s faithfulness in giving, church attendance, service to and through the church, and reputation in the community.
On September 24, 2017 we will be voting on the Deacon Nominees. Please click here for the Deacon Ballot for 2017-2018. Absentee Voting is available Monday-Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm in the Business Office beginning September 18, 2017.